- SIMA is a world recycler of Re bearing scrap, as well we have strategic partnerships for the production of APR / Re pellets; therefore we can offer APR and/or Re pellets on a long-term basis.
- It is a steely-grey, lustrous, hard metal that takes a high polish and has a high melting point.
- A major development was the discovery that steel could be made highly resistant to corrosion and discoloration by adding chromium to form stainless steel.
- These applications, along with chrome plating (electroplating with chromium) are currently the highest-volume uses of the metal.
- Chromium and ferrochromium are produced from the single commercially viable ore, chromite, by silicothermic or aluminothermy reaction or by roasting and leaching processes.
APPLICATIONS IN METALLURGY
- Rhenium is added to high-temperature superalloys that are used to make jet engine parts, using 70% of the worldwide rhenium production.
- Another major application is in platinum-rhenium catalysts, which are primarily used in making lead-free, high-octane gasoline.
- The nickel-based superalloys have improved creep strength with the addition of rhenium.
- The alloys normally contain 3% or 6% of rhenium.
- Second generation alloys contain 3%; these alloys were used in the engines of the F-16 and F-15, while the newer single-crystal third generation alloys contain 6% of rhenium; they are used in the F-22 and F-35 engines.