- SIMA can offer EB refined Nb bar, as well as Nb scrap.
- It is a steely-grey lustrous, hard metal that takes a high polish and has a high melting point.
- A major development was the discovery that steel could be made highly resistant to corrosion and discoloration by adding chromium to form stainless steel.
- This application, along with chrome plating (electroplating with chromium) is currently the highest-volume uses of the metal.
- Chromium and ferrochromium are produced from the single commercially viable ore, chromite, by silicothermic or aluminothermy reaction or by roasting and leaching processes.
APPLICATIONS IN METALLURGY
- Niobium, formerly columbium, is a chemical element with the symbol Nb and atomic number 41. It is a soft, grey, ductile transition metal, which is often found in the pyrochlore mineral, the main commercial source for niobium, and columbite.
- Niobium has physical and chemical properties similar to those of the element tantalum, and the two are therefore difficult to distinguish.
- It was not until the early 20th century that niobium was first used commercially.
- Brazil is the leading producer of niobium and ferroniobium, an alloy of niobium and iron. Niobium is used mostly in alloys, the largest part in special steel such as that used in gas pipelines.